[ale] DummyQ: How do I change boot-up HOSTNAME in RH-7.3?

Charles Shapiro charles.shapiro at nubridges.com
Thu Jul 11 09:30:35 EDT 2002

Uh. I use RH 7.2 at work here, and the onliest way I've ever been able
to change the hostname on a RH box globally and permanently is to edit
the /etc/sysconfig/network file.  Place the line:

HOSTNAME=myhost.mydomain.myTLD

in it. If you're connecting to the Outside World, the value "NETWORKING"
must also be set to "yes" in the same way.

RH calls hostname(1) with this value through a hideous complex bash
script as it boots, so the hostnname(1) command from a root login won't
permanently change it. The old-fashioned way of editing /etc/HOSTNAME
will not work either.

If you're unlucky enough to be talkin' to a Microsoft name server  and
using dhcp for networking setup, you also need some perl-fu to get the
name server's records updated properly when you boot. I wrote this
meself, but I think it's also on the web somewheres.

-- CHS