[ale] OT - DSL

Charles Marcus CharlesM at Media-Brokers.com
Wed Jul 10 14:23:02 EDT 2002

>> I have to agree about Bellsouth DSL.
>
> How's their tech support?

Sux - but I rarely have to deal with them, so its not really a problem.

> I ask because I have been with
> mindspring for years now, and using their DSL service for
> the last six months or so. I have been very satisfied with
> their tech support, but I must admit I suspect they are,
> at times, limiting my band width to about 150k/sec.

Is that 150kB(ytes)?  or 150kb(its)?

We consistently get about 150-160kB/sec d/l speeds and have for the 2 1/4
years we've been with them.  Upload speeds about 30kB/sec.

> I had no problem implementing pppoe to work with a dual
> boot Linux/Win2k box -- or at least my _son_ had no trouble
> getting everything to work. <grin>
>
> But if they can guarantee more bandwidth for the same price,
> I'm interested.

ADSL bandwidth is generally limited to how close you are to the CO.  I have
not heard of any ISPs metering ADSL (beyond the 1.5mb down and 256 or 128 up
limits), but maybe they are...

Charles