[ale] MIS

John Wells jb at sourceillustrated.com
Wed Jul 10 13:32:05 EDT 2002

Good question.

Better question would be "what can you do with an MBA?" or "what exactly
do *you* want to do with an MBA?".  You can go many routes, and any good
MBA program will provide the foundations that most companies look for in
various fields (i.e., finance, accounting, marketing, etc.).

I have an MBA with a specialization in MIS, but found myself enjoying
programming more than anything else I was learning.  So, I decided to go
that route.  I had more attractive offers from various consulting
companies, but I would have been just miserable.

Of course, my ultimate goal, and where I see my MBA (or the experience of
the program itself) coming into play, is to start my own company.  But
until that time, the MBA has simply provided good general business
knowledge, a sense of discipline (required to make it through the
program), and a big attention getter on resumes.  It's easy to sell
yourself when people realize you can program...AND understand what they're
trying to do AND communicate with others in an easy manner.

A word of warning: make sure you have a definite interest in the subject
matter...I forgot all I'd learned about high-level corporate accounting in
about 24 hours -- I had no problems to solve with it, no interest in it,
and no reason to retain it in my memory banks.

Good luck,

John