[ale] Rpm Heaven.

Fulton Green ale at FultonGreen.com
Tue Jul 9 18:09:17 EDT 2002

I've been tracking, to some extent, the updated RPMs in RH's Raw Hide
directory:
  ftp://FTP.RedHat.com/pub/redhat/linux/rawhide/i386/RedHat/RPMS/

A few "gotcha"s:
- The latest RPM may spit out some ID key warnings when upgrading other
  packages
- whenever you upgrade RPM itself, ALWAYS follow with an "rpm --rebuilddb"
- updating any KDE 3.x.x-related package usually means updating ALL of them
- GNOME is now at version 2.0 (this is also the case for the recent beta),
  so that will wind up being a big upgrade as well
- You may have to manually run the new gnome-panel from a terminal window
- net-snmp replaces ucd-snmp
- httpd replaces apache (httpd is acually Apache HTTPD v. 2.x)
- GCC 3.1 is now the default gcc package (gcc 2.96 is now a "compat-" pkg.)