[ale] Why so many updates to RedHat?

Chris Ricker kaboom at gatech.edu
Tue Jul 9 16:08:42 EDT 2002

On 9 Jul 2002, Michael Hirsch wrote:

> You are correct.  The errata page doesn't mention most of those files.
> But when I run up2date -l this is what I get (see below).  I don't
> believe I have messed with up2date at all.  I do point to some
> non-standard apt-get servers, but I use the redhat up2date untouched.
> This is an awful lot, though I confess much less than 400.  It is more
> like 100 updated packages.

You've broken something! ;-)

> arts                                    2.2.2          2

arts-1.0.0-4 on a fully up2date'd Red Hat Linux 7.3 system

> dump                                    0.4b25         1.72.0

Look at the release:  1.72

That's an errata for Red Hat Linux 7.2

> e2fsprogs                               1.26           1.72
> e2fsprogs-devel                         1.26           1.72

ditto

> glibc                                   2.2.4          24
> glibc-common                            2.2.4          24
> glibc-devel                             2.2.4          24

RH 7.3 uses glibc-2.2.5.  Again, these are all 7.2.

Check /etc/redhat-release.  I think you'll find that your box is 7.2, not
7.3.

later,
chris