[ale] encryption/obfuscation (Was: No, wait- Leonard ...)

Sean Kilpatrick kilpatms at mindspring.com
Tue Jul 9 15:09:30 EDT 2002

On Tuesday 09 July 2002 01:53 pm, Mike Panetta wrote:
> Ok, now this is going to drive me nuts!  I have to figure out what that
> method of obfuscation was called.  I am not sure its steganography, I
> think it may have been called something else?

I _think_ steganography is the technique of hiding a simple text message
within a standard graphics format, such as .JPG.  That is, the attachment
<foopix.jpg> can be opened within a graphics viewer and, indeed, foopix is
displayed, but when opened with different software, the encrypted message
is revealed.

But then again I may be wrong.

Sean