[ale] H1B -- What To Do

Bao C. Ha baoha at sensoria.com
Tue Jul 9 15:09:21 EDT 2002

I have tried to stay away from this discussion.
Unfortunately, I don't think it is a good idea
to blame everything on the H1B Visa holders.

This economy has hit everybody hard.  I beleive
the H1B people are affected as much as many of
us.  There may be a few who still have their
jobs, because of their skills.  Don't assume that
we can easily find people to fill in those jobs
if we kick all of the H1B out of the country.

The Information Technology has changed significantly
since about a couple of years ago.  The Y2K and the
Internet bubble had skewed the IT skillset toward
business/service orientation, where there was a
large demand for systems administration/management
expertises.  They had come and gone.  Companies are
now struggling to produce something, if they have
any hopes to survive.  There is a very high demand
of highly-skilled developers, but not many can be
found.  I define a developer as having two types of
skillsets: (1) programming skills, like c/c++/java,
and (2) expert domain knowledge, like networking
(tcp/ip stacks, snmp, sockets, IPC, ...), kernel/
drivers, database (data model/ERD/normalization,
...), etc ...

There has been a paradigm shift in the demand of IT
skills.  It requires less people but with a much
deeper skillset in the expert domain knowledge.  Many
of our current IT personnel don't have marketable
skillsets.  Plus there are so many "IT" people being
produced by "trade" schools for the "new" economy
that was busted even before it was started.

I believe the solution now, is to retrain ourselves
and to wait for the economy to pick up.  I don't
think we can reverse the trend due the globalization
nature of our economy.  And our government has proven
itself to be quite inept in the management of
technologies.

Just two-share worth of Worldcom stocks. :-(
Bao