[ale] Why so many updates to RedHat?

Michael Hirsch mhirsch at nubridges.com
Tue Jul 9 11:47:39 EDT 2002

On Tue, 2002-07-09 at 11:15, Fulton Green wrote:
> How are you updating them? ftp://updates.RedHat.com/7.3/en/os/i386/ only has
> fifty or so updated packages. OTOH, RH did release a new beta, and some of
> those packages might have spilled over into the RHN update service offering.

I've tried it two ways.  First, with apt-get.  I point to a mirror of
the redhat update server that has been configured to serve apt-get.  It
reports the actual number of updates.  I figured that there must be some
mistake, so I tried up2date and it also indicated a lot of updates--way
more than I expected since I think my machine was pretty up to date 2
weeks ago.

Here's the output of apt-get.  Now, I do point to a server that has a
bunch of apps not in RH, but these mostly look standard.

The following packages will be REPLACED:
  Mesa Mesa-devel docbook-dtd30-sgml docbook-dtd31-sgml
docbook-dtd40-sgml
  docbook-dtd41-sgml emacs-X11 emacs-nox
  Distutils GConf Glide3 Omni Omni-foomatic XFree86-base-fonts
  XFree86-font-utils atk cdparanoia-libs control-center cups-libs
docbook-dtds
  gdk-pixbuf-gnome glib2 gnome-core gnome-mime-data gnome-vfs gtk2
hesiod
  hwdata kernel-smp#2.4.18-5 libglade2 libgnomeprint15 librep libusb
  mozilla-nspr mozilla-nss oaf openmotif pango pkgconfig pygtk2
  pygtk2-libglade python-clap python-popt python2 rep-gtk rep-gtk-gnome
  sawfish usbutils usermode-gtk xml-common xscreensaver
The following packages will be upgraded
  4Suite ImageMagick LPRng MAKEDEV ORBit PyXML SDL SDL_image SDL_mixer
SDL_net
  SysVinit VFlib2 VFlib2-devel XFree86 XFree86-100dpi-fonts
  XFree86-75dpi-fonts XFree86-ISO8859-15-100dpi-fonts
  XFree86-ISO8859-15-75dpi-fonts XFree86-devel XFree86-libs
XFree86-tools
  XFree86-twm XFree86-xdm XFree86-xfs Xaw3d Xaw3d-devel Xconfigurator
a2ps
  alchemist apache apache-devel apmd arts aspell at audiofile
audiofile-devel
  aumix authconfig autoconf autofs automake bash bc bind-utils binutils
bison
  bzip2 bzip2-devel bzip2-libs cdda2wav cdecl cdlabelgen cdp cdparanoia
  cdrecord cdrecord-devel chkconfig cipe console-tools cpio cpp cracklib
  cracklib-dicts ctags curl curl-devel cvs cyrus-sasl cyrus-sasl-devel
  cyrus-sasl-md5 cyrus-sasl-plain dateconfig db1 db1-devel db2 db3
db3-devel
  db3-utils ddd dev dhcpcd diffutils docbook-style-dsssl docbook-utils
  docbook-utils-pdf dos2unix dosfstools doxygen dump e2fsprogs
e2fsprogs-devel
  ed efax eject emacs esound esound-devel expat expat-devel fetchmail
file
  fileutils findutils flex foomatic fortune-mod freetype freetype-devel
ftp
  gawk gcc gcc-c++ gcc-g77 gdb gdbm gdbm-devel gdk-pixbuf gettext
ghostscript
  giftrans gimp gimp-devel glibc glibc-common glibc-devel gmp gmp-devel
  gnome-audio gnome-libs gnupg gphoto gpm gpm-devel grep groff
groff-perl grub
  gtk+ gtk+-devel gzip hdparm hotplug htmlview hwbrowser ical imlib
  imlib-devel indent indexhtml info initscripts ipchains iproute
iptables
  iputils isdn4k-utils jadetex kbdconfig krb5-devel krb5-libs krbafs
  krbafs-devel ksconfig ksymoops kudzu kudzu-devel less lesstif
lesstif-devel
  lha libao libao-devel libcap libglade libjpeg libjpeg-devel libmng
  libmng-devel libogg libogg-devel libpcap libstdc++ libstdc++-devel
libtiff
  libtiff-devel libtool libtool-libs libungif libungif-devel libuser
libvorbis
  libvorbis-devel libxml libxml-devel libxml2 libxslt locale_config
lockdev
  lockdev-devel logrotate logwatch lokkit losetup lrzsz m4 mailcap man
  man-pages mingetty minicom mkbootdisk mkinitrd mkisofs mktemp mkxauth
mm
  mm-devel modutils mount mouseconfig mozilla mozilla-mail mozilla-psm
mpage
  mpg321 mutt ncftp ncompress ncurses ncurses-devel net-tools netpbm
  netpbm-devel netpbm-progs netscape-common netscape-communicator newt
  newt-devel nfs-utils njamd nmap nmap-frontend nscd nss_ldap ntp ntsysv
  openjade openldap openldap-clients openldap-devel openssh
openssh-askpass
  openssh-clients openssh-server openssl openssl-devel pam pam-devel
pam_krb5
  parted passwd patch pax pciutils pciutils-devel pcre pcre-devel perl
  perl-DBD-Pg perl-DBI perl-DateManip perl-Digest-MD5 perl-HTML-Parser
  perl-HTML-Tagset perl-MIME-Base64 perl-Parse-Yapp perl-Storable
perl-URI
  perl-XML-Dumper perl-XML-Encoding perl-XML-Grove perl-XML-Parser
  perl-XML-Twig perl-libnet perl-libwww-perl perl-libxml-enno
perl-libxml-perl
  pidentd pine pinfo popt portmap postgresql postgresql-devel
postgresql-libs
  postgresql-server ppp printconf printconf-gui procmail procps psgml
psmisc
  pspell pwdb pygnome pygnome-libglade pygtk pygtk-libglade python
  python-devel python-xmlrpc qt quota radvd raidtools rdate readline
  readline-devel redhat-config-network redhat-config-users
redhat-release
  reiserfs-utils rhn_register rhn_register-gnome rmt rp-pppoe rpm
rpm-build
  rpm-devel rpm-python rsync samba samba-client samba-common
sane-backends
  sane-backends-devel sane-frontends screen sed sendmail sendmail-cf
  serviceconf setserial setup sgml-common sh-utils shadow-utils
sharutils
  slang slang-devel smpeg sndconfig sox stat statserial strace stunnel
sudo
  swig switchdesk sysklogd tar tcl tetex tetex-afm tetex-dvilj
tetex-dvips
  tetex-fonts tetex-latex tetex-xdvi texinfo textutils time timeconfig
tix tk
  tkinter tmpwatch traceroute tree ttfonts ttfonts-ja ucd-snmp units
unix2dos
  unzip up2date up2date-gnome urw-fonts usbview usermode util-linux
vim-common
  vim-minimal vixie-cron w3c-libwww wget which whois wine wvdial xawtv
xdelta
  xinitrc xisdnload xmms xpdf xsane yp-tools ypbind zip zlib zlib-devel
415 packages upgraded, 43 newly installed, 8 to remove(replace) and 0
not upgraded.

--Michael