[ale] Problem installing RH-7.3 with existing Win2K to dual-boot

John Mills jmmills at telocity.com
Mon Jul 8 17:54:05 EDT 2002

ALErs -

I ran into something this afternoon and wondered if it was 'common
knowledge'.

Setting:
Win2K box with 2.7GBy partitioned out of a 5.2GBy disk (or so says Disk
Druid).

Objective:
Install RH-7.2 in remaining 2.7GBy to dual-boot with pre-existing Win2k

Approach:
Accepted reasonably appropriate partitions someone had made in the unused
half of the disk, stipulated the partitions be checked for bad blocks,
chose 'representative' set of 'workstation' RPMs, selected GRUB for boot,
created the baseline set of users, fired it off, and went to work
elsewhere.

Results:
Came back to find RH installer complaining of 'unhandeled
exception'!!! (Should have noted how far it got, but I didn't. @#$!!)

I doubt this is a very common result, else I would have heard quite a bit
of tooth-gnashing already, plus I've done more than one installation from
those CDs without problem (but never keeping a pre-existing WinNT
partition, and always specifying the package selection in detail).

Is the RH-7.2 installer known to stumble like this under reasonably
predictable circumstances?

My suspect: those partitions I reused were not properly created, and a
manual application of 'fdisk' may be in order. That's tomorrow's plan
unless someone suggests a known explanation and remedy for this. (This is
my first dual-boot setup with Win2K - is that inherently a problem?)

TIA.
 - John Mills