[ale] no root shell

Rick Huebner rick at rhuebner.com
Mon Jul 8 13:34:24 EDT 2002

I had this happen on Solaris.  I had to boot to the CDROM.  Then use vi to
edit the passwd file for root so that the shell does exist.  What happened
to me was that a bright consultant changed from the ksh to the csh, but had
a typo and changed ksh to cdh!!!!

Try booting to a linux boot cd.  You can find one online at many
sites...just do a google search for it.  You can probably also get a boot
floppy, but I always carry a linux rescue CD with network stuff and the
ability to mount a vfat partition to save me in cases where winbloze fails
and I need to get stuff off the disks.

---
Rick Huebner
rick at rhuebner.com