[ale] playing DVD on 7.3

Dow Hurst dhurst at kennesaw.edu
Sat Jul 6 13:31:14 EDT 2002

They are worried about legal issues.  Just rpm -qa | grep xine and then
rpm -e the output.  I think that is right.  Might want to refresh
yourself on rpm switches from the man page.  I never can remember them
since there are so many.  Sorry I can't help with DVD as that is
something I haven't done yet.  However, Xine is the way to go now since
the plugins are there.  You do have to collect all the right rpms to get
full functionality.  I would recommend that you find the Xine plugins
that do exactly what you want and are correct for your hardware software
combo.  For example, SuSE 8.0 only needs the decryption libraries
installed and the ALSA plugin installed to play an encrypted DVD from
Blockbuster.  I've downloaded the ALSA plugin but haven't installed it
yet.  Already had the decryption stuff installed from an earlier attempt
at getting transcode to work for me.  Just takes some time on the Xine
website to get an understanding of what to install and what not.
dow