[ale] OT: Quantifying Randomness

Greg runman at telocity.com
Fri Jul 5 13:45:04 EDT 2002

	I recall reading in some Tom Clancy novel the NSA using noise from space to
generate completely random noise for coding purposes.  I am guessing that as
long as equipment simply records noise that there is no introduction of
patterns (unless you are recording a quasar (?) - a rotating (?) star that
generates a signal on a pattern), but outside of working for the NSA / NASA
or jury rigging your satellite dish I would not know how to get samples of
cosmic noise (SETI ??).

	I do recall some work done by the OpenBSD folks to further randomize their
random generator which is completely in line with their line of having a
secure OS w/ cryptography built into the system.  Daniel J. Bernstein has
also done considerable work in this field from what I have garnered from
reading some of his work.

Hope this helps,

Greg Canter