[ale] OT: Quantifying Randomness

Glenn C. Lasher Jr. glasher at nycap.rr.com
Fri Jul 5 13:37:19 EDT 2002

You could try a frequency analysis.  Take your data and push them into a
series of 8-bit values. Collect 256*n values.  Use a number of different
values for n, as this will cause different patterns to emerge, if there
are any.  The higher the value of n, the longer-term the pattern that
emerges will be.

Next, you count the number of instances for every possible value between 0
and 255 inclusive.  Graph this as frequency vs value.  If you have a good,
even distribution, then you will have a more-or-less horizontal line.

Now, it is important to note, however, that this will not give you a
guarantee that there are no patterns.  A counter that ran from 0-255 would
give a perfect result.  This will, however, help ensure that you have a
fairly even distribution of results.

glasher at nycap.rr.com
You've been programmed by the Illuminati not to see the word "".