[ale] will R&D run dry?

James P. Kinney III jkinney at localnetsolutions.com
Wed Jul 3 13:23:26 EDT 2002

The American Physical Society is mirroring the warning from the
perspective of the dropping number of Americans pursuing PhD's in
physical sciences. The number of immigrant PhD students has plateaued,
the number of women PhD students has climbed ( a lot!) but overall the
number of PhD students who are going to stay in the US is declining.

I would be perversely interested to see if there is a match up between
the the decline in science PhD's and the rise in MBA's.