[ale] [Fwd: .org]

Geoffrey esoteric at 3times25.net
Tue Jul 2 17:23:56 EDT 2002

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: .org
Date: Tue, 02 Jul 2002 13:13:53 -0700
From: gkm at petting-zoo.net (glen mccready)
To: ale at ale.org
To: 0xdeadbeef at petting-zoo.net

Forwarded-by: Nev Dull <nev at sleepycat.com>

IMS has teamed up with Internet Software Consortium (aka Paul Vixie and
the folks who produce BIND) to try and wrest control of the .org
registry from VeriSign.  ICANN has it up for bid and all the other
applicants are various combinations of commercial operators.  We want
to run .org in the public interest and release all of our code, secure
the DNS, etc.

We could really use a public show of support.  Was wondering if you
might chime in and possibly even try and encourage some of your cohorts
to chime in?  We think this is a pretty crucial test case on setting up
a solid public infrastructure for core Internet functions.  The degree
of public support is one of the selection criteria, so we'd certainly
appreciate your help.

Regards,

Carl Malamud
Internet Multicasting Service