[ale] Q: Anyone get TimeSys 'GPL Linux x86' to run?

John Mills jmmills at telocity.com
Mon Jul 1 23:40:12 EDT 2002

ALErs -

More specifically, did you get it to dual-boot with an out-of-the-box
RH-7.2 or -7.3? I'm trying this in a 7.2 setup.

I tried the ./install-sh script and ultimatel trashed my boot. I rebuilt
bzImage from TimeSys sources, and it doesn't want to expand the kernel.

Known 'glitches':
 1) I can't convince GRUB that the /boot partition can be mounted 'ext2'
as required by TimeSys 2.4.7 kernel - they suggest typing as 'auto' in
/etc/fstab. (I seem able to coerce the root partition to mount 'ext2'.)

 2) I don't know what to suggest for the TimeSys kernel's 'initrd', or
whether I need to name or provide one. (There is one in /boot for RH's
Linux kernel.)

This is turning into a real "dog's breakfast", as our English cousins
might say.

TIA for any guidance.

 - John Mills