[ale] Recommended Support Levels

rhiannen rhiannen at atlantacon.org
Thu Jan 31 12:39:18 EST 2002

I tend to agree that it's more to do with the type of work/users than
with the OS in questions.  Users break things - often - period.

When we were just coming in as the outsourced IT support, I ran across
some research analysis, or marketing research, whatever that was being
used as a basis for the amount of staffing required for a job.  I
believe the *proposed* numbers for our shop, 2/3 field/laptop scattered
in all 50 states plus 4 foreign countries, 1/3 local/desktop, 5 remote
offices, were 1 support per 40/50 users, 1 server admin per 75/85
users.  (the balance changed to 1 per 100+ users for both during the
layoffs, go figure.)

Along with the variables Denny listed (Number of users, number of remote
locations, and number of specialty servers), there is also the need to
take into account how much and what level of support the support
personnel offer.  If they only do 1st and maybe a little 2nd, and
handoff trickier issues or standards "upstairs", then you get by with
less support, but add an admin.  If the support crew handles everything
but true server/network issues*, then you increase the support personnel
and theoretically can get by with less admin.

*Our shop was the latter.  We did Everything client side; hardware,
software, standards, troubleshooting, repair, replace, builds, testing
new software/hardware, inventory, you name it, and we actually did quite
a few tasks that were more typically admin related; creating user
network and email accounts, monitoring mailbox size, etc. We called in
admins ONLY for pure server problems or network issues.

I wish I could find the documentation, but it was hard copy, 2 years
ago.  But, hey, at least it gives me my 'search for the day'. ;)

--
rhia
knowledge is power - arm yourself