[ale] Ale Inc.? (was RE: [ale] surviving sans work

Ken Kennedy kkennedy at kenzoid.com
Thu Jan 31 12:01:21 EST 2002

On Thu, Jan 31, 2002 at 10:18:51AM +0000, Joseph A Knapka wrote:

>> I do know C,C++.  However, I program in PHP and Perl at work; and I
>> know +squat+ java. I could probably pick up java easily, but I just
>> don't know if my brain can handle another language...

> And if it could, Java would be a bad choice, IMO (I say this with
> several years of Java development experience). It's a horrible
> language, well-marketed by Sun and hangers-on.
>
> If you like the perl/GTK interface, and you're productive in it,
> and it does everything you want, then IMO you should keep
> using it (I say this as a guy who hates Perl above practically
> every other language I've every worked with).

I second these points, for the most part. You've got a fairly
cross-platform solution (perl/GTK) there...get something "out the
door" that WORKS. Free Software project (one's I've been involved with
included...*grin*) often have a tendency to bog down and squabble over
things like widget toolsets, etc., and never actually get something
working. (Or at least slow themselves down drastically). If you like
your toolset, use it. If they don't want to...then they don't have to!

> >Basically, I want someone to rewrite my code in C or C++ and I will
> >give them a hefty percentage stake in my "company".  The company is
> >not formally established yet, however, the project is going to be
> >featured on TechTV's "Screen Savers" in about 3 months (they're
> >waaaaay booked out according to the booking manager).  I can't help
> >but think that out of a few million viewers there might be one or
> >two "healthy" investors lurking.  >

> Sounds like fun, and I'd love a piece of that :-), but only do it if
> you really see a benefit. IMO, going to C/C++ from a very-high-level
> -language is almost guaranteed to be a big step *backwards* in terms
> of development effort and maintainability. Your UI toolkit is
> already implemented in C/C++, most likely, and the Perl code is just
> gluing code and application logic, and the application logic can be
> pushed down to the C level very easily using something like SWIG, if
> it's a performance bottleneck. In my opinion, for custom software,
> the
> scripting-language-gluing-carefully-chosen-for-performance-reasons-
> bits-of-C/C++-code model is best in terms of productivity,
> maintainability, and overall project health.

Again, I agree, agree, agree!! (I sound like some sorta cheerleader
here! *grin*) My personal choice is python and wxPython for scripting
and widgets, but the same logic applies. Code the whole dang thing up
in perl/GTK, slap some tires on, and see if she runs. If it works, and
two modules/pieces are dog-slow, re-code 'em in a lower-level
language. With perl and GTK, you're getting the ability to develop
your application at a MUCH more rapid pace, and avoid the headaches of
C/C++ development. Take advantage of that until you have no choice...

Just my $0.02. Sounds like you have a great idea. Scratch that itch,
and code away!

Ken Kennedy	| http://www.kenzoid.com	| kenzoid at io.com

 PGP signature