[ale] Re: [ale-unemployed] OT SAP, ABAP and perl

jeff hubbs hbbs at mediaone.net
Thu Jan 31 11:18:20 EST 2002

Michael E. Barker wrote:

> My morning job search returned several matches asking for this skill
> set.  Does anyone know how these relate.  From a quick search I believe
> it is some kind of billing application.  I'm just wondering if maybe
> someone is migrating from one app. to another and and the old is written
> in SAP & ABAP and the new is written in perl.  If so I would like to
> find out what that app. is.
>
> Thanks for any leads, help, suggestions.

Michael -

I've had some training on SAP.  ABAP is the programming langage that you
use within SAP R/3 to accomplish specific business processes.  What you
are probably seeing here is not a migration but an attempt to do some
SAP data I/O mangling, probably to facilitate going between SAP and some
other app.  I could envision using Perl to automatically generate a
certain kind of Excel spreadsheet directly from SAP data, for instance.
    Or, they may have some legacy app.

- Jeff