[ale] HD Failures: bad luck or technical error??

aaron aaron at pd.org
Thu Jan 31 10:23:02 EST 2002

The good news is I just updated my mian system from RH 7.1 to RH 7.2.
I like it. Actually, I like it a lot. The latest updates to Gnome have
made it screamingly fast!!

The BAD news is that my latest OS install is the 3rd one in about 18
months and ALL of my updates have been motivated by physical hard drive
failures. (If hardware failures require you to install and config a
system, may as well install and configure the latest and greatest.)

My hardware is a decent roll your own box... a tower case with ample air
space, 250w power supply, reputable Tyan mother board w/ dual IDE on
board, PIII 600 CPU, generous amounts of memory and a quality Matrox 400
AGP graphics card. All the distros I've esperimented with have recognized
my hardware and RH always seems to install just fine. My practice when
installing on a new drive is to use the Disk Druid tools to manually set
up seperate /, /boot, /home, /tmp, /var, /usr and swap partitions,
including a full format of all partitions with bad block checks.

About 4 months after my initial RH 6.1 install, I started getting some
odd errors and program crashes, ending a couple weeks later with an
unreadable hard drive. Maxtor replaced the 20 gig dirve under warranty
with an identical unit and I used the HD swap as an excuse to update to
RH 6.2. The 6.2 sytem was fine for another 5 months or so, then crash
problems started cropping up again. I now had reason to suspect the hard
drive, so I just went out and bought a 15 gig Western Digital at
RadioShack.com and upgraded to RH 7.1 in the process. (I also got the
dealer to exchange the Maxtor for a 15 gig Fuji and made that one a
mirror / backup drive for paranoia's sake.)

Things had been going good for about 8 months, then a couple weeks ago my
largest partition started coming up with "short read" errors which
reqired manual fdisk passes to restore before the system would boot.
Subsequently, the drive started making some loud, ominous clicking noises
at boot time, and eventually the disk showed up as unbootable (thankfully
AFTER I had time to run an up-to-date mirror to my "backup" drive).

So... I found a 40 gig Wester Digital 7200 for $90 at recent computer
fair, have dropped it in and installed RH 7.2 from a commercial CD set I
purchased.

So I'm looking for opinions on what might be causing my problems.
Am I just having a run of bad luck with these drives?? Are these low
priced IDE units just too cheap?? Could my MB IDE controller or some
obscure BIOS setting error be initiating these failures?? Am I missing
some special trick for formatting and partitioning?? Will the new ext3
file system magically solve everything??

I'd like to get to a point where I do upgrade migrations on MY schedule,
not the hard drive's!  Any helpful suggestions for doing that will be
appreciated.

peace
(after justice)
aaron