[ale] Product Idea

Michael E. Barker mbarker68 at home.com
Wed Jan 30 21:38:09 EST 2002

Robert Heaven wrote:

> OK, here's a product (or product family actually) that needs developing.
>
> What I want is a DVD jukbox.

I just saw this in Cruthchfield, Sony I believe.

> I want it to hold at least 200 DVD's and/or Audio CD's and/or Software CD's.

This one holds 400 DVD/CDs and you can chain 3 together for a collection
of 1200.

> I want it to be able to stream video and/or audio over my 100M Ethernet LAN.
>
> I want a small box next to my TV to convert the video stream to standard
> RGB video.
>
> I want a small box next to my Sterio to convert the audio stream to
> standard audio inputs.
>
> I want software on my desktop to receive both audio and video streams.
>
> I want software on my desktop to browse my DVD/CD catalog.
>
> I want to be able to put my application software CD in the jukebox and
> install it on any PC on the LAN.
>
> etc., etc.
>
> I have these stupid ideas all the time, I just don't have the time to
> spend on development. So, if any of you guys that are currently
> misfortuned (unemployed) want to take this and run with it, be my guest.
>
> -Robert

This sounds very interesting and having my hands in sound support I
would probably be inclined toward such a project.  I'm sure these days
with the support of CD-R/CD-RW in more and more audio units it would not
be hard to use them for data.  The big thing would be the interface,
probably somewhere between that drive and DA converters.  I'm not a
hardware hacker so I wouldn't know where to begin with out some
research.

--
-Michael