[ale] RE: [ale-unemployed] A proposal

Ken Kennedy kkennedy at kenzoid.com
Wed Jan 30 16:29:01 EST 2002

On Wed, Jan 30, 2002 at 12:31:16PM -0500, Charles Marcus wrote:
> > To start with, you can
> > get them networked around Samba. If they need invoices or
> > forms in a database, you can get those into MySQL or PostgreSQL.
> > The savings over a Microsoft or Oracle product are huge.
> >
> > I am wondering just how many people might like to pursue a
> > business like that. It would have to be a versatile group and
> > a versatile business. If you just offer one kind of service,
> > you are likely to hit bottom fast.  But there is something to
> > be done here and it could really grow. I think adoption of
> > Linux by business is just starting to hit critical mass. So
> > who would like to meet and talk about it?

> Also, since I do retain the copyright to the PostgreSQL/Php
> database replacement for ACT I mentioned earlier, I would be happy
> to provide access to that code, on certain conditions.  If we had
> something that no one else had (an open-source, web-based
> replacement for ACT), it might serve as a door-opener in some cases.

Sounds like a great idea, in general. I'm a big believer in using Free
Software as the architectural infrastructure for a small/meduim
business services company.

However...please make sure you're educated to the licenses of Free
Software and Open Source. For example, if you're going to be making
your ACT replacement available as "open source" (a great idea, in my
opinion) you're not going to have a option on providing access to the
code (to customers), or be able to prevent it's redistribution. At
least, if you want to keep it Free Software. You aren't required to
make it freely available, or put it on sourceforge or something
(*grin*) but whoever does get a copy (ie, customers, other developers,
etc.) would be able to redistrbute it.

It's always your option, of course, as the copyright holder, to
restrict whatever you want/release under whatever license you want
(it's your code). But you can't do that and call it "Open Source", or
"Free Software".

Again, that being said, I think the Free Software services model is
workable. I've considered starting such a business myself. You guys
are giving me the itch again...*grin*

PS: In reviewing your mail, I note the "web-based" comment. If you're
talking about providing a Web Service only (ie, you host the servers
and allow the customers to access them, hopefully via SSL *grin*) then
technically, you're in the clear. I think...that's one of the places
it gets tricky...and there's the whole "spirit of the license" issue.

Anyway, just thought I'd toss out the info!

Ken Kennedy	| http://www.kenzoid.com	| kenzoid at io.com

 PGP signature