[ale] HELP!!! /HDA DISASTER!

John Mills jmmills at telocity.com
Tue Jan 29 11:23:07 EST 2002

Hi again -

On 29 Jan 2002, James P. Kinney III wrote:

> But since the space containing the spinning drive is not air, but an
> inert gas like helium to eliminate contamination and friction, the speed
> of sound will be much higher.

It _might_ be inert gas, but I'll bet against helium, since the
&^%$#!! stuff is almost impossible to contain: it diffuses even through
metal at a significant rate!

Nitrogen is easier to get and live with, but my guess is they start with
dry, clean air and vent the drives through filter material which stops the
largest dirt, at least for consumer products.

Regards -
 John Mills