[ale] HELP!!! /HDA DISASTER!

John Mills jmmills at telocity.com
Tue Jan 29 11:10:38 EST 2002

Hi -

On Tue, 29 Jan 2002, Thompson Freeman wrote:

> This is from memory - sound speed is approx 11000 ft/sec or 770 mile/h at
> sea level.

Sad to hear from someone whose memory is in worse shape than mine, but I
think we've had decimal-point creep again! My old rule of estimating the
distance to a lightning strike is "one mile away for every 5 seconds
between flash and sound", or about 1,100 ft/sec (give or take the speed
of light 8-).

Regards -
 John Mills