[ale] Fwd: [OT] Kernel Statistics on Linux

Prasanna Subash subash at skyline.external.hp.com
Tue Jan 29 10:17:21 EST 2002

Hey Geeks,
	I am trying to port some code over from Solaris, which uses the kstat api(
uses /dev/kstat ). This api gives access to series of link lists which have
information about disk, tape,  controller, net, rpc, vm, kvm, hat, streams,
kmem, kmem_cache, kstat,  and  misc.
	I know the proc file system serves the same end. I got the mandrake spec
file for procps-devel and build an rpm on my machine that provides some of
this functionality, like process information, uptime and loadavg. Is there a
way I can get the rest of the information ? I know a cat on the procfiles
will do the trick, but I have to replace the kstat api globally in the source
code.
	Is there any such unified API on linux ?
Prasanna Subash            | Faith may be defined briefly as an

                           | illogical belief in the occurence of the

Linux, the choice          | improbable. - H. L. Mencken
of a GNU generation   -o)  |
Kernel 2.4.8-26mdk     /\  |
on a i686             _\_v |