[ale] Has the IT market bottomed out?

jeff hubbs hbbs at mediaone.net
Tue Jan 29 09:44:02 EST 2002

Mark E. Schill wrote:

> I hope it is on its way back up. I have been without a job for 3 months
> now.
>
> Mark

Five months here.  I have given up on looking just in Atlanta.  If you
believe the AJC classifieds, there do seem to be more listings than
there were 3-4 months ago.  Remember when COMPUTER/IT went on for pages?

In these five months, I've had bouts with illness and I went a month and
a half with no Internet service at the house thanks to
DirectTV's/Bellsouth's ineptitude and/or scheming.

I'm applying to Federal jobs as well as private sector, hoping that my
prior Federal service will give me a leg up.  It's a slow process and
you often have to write volumes (or at least re-utilize
previously-written volumes, which still takes a lot of time) for KSAs
for each position.  That's what I was up doing last night until 2:45AM.
  Many nights I'm up late enough to hear the locate -u job fire up on my
Mandrake box...

It isn't just the financial pressure; it's this thing where you have
absolutely no idea where you and your family will be in a month - or
even temporarily separated.  It means that you can pretty much forget
about "planning" much of anything.  "Downsizing one's life" is
important, sure - and I've been doing it for years now - but even THAT
takes time and effort.

- Jeff