[ale] Kernel Compilation?

Ryan Neily ryan at neily.net
Mon Jan 28 23:19:26 EST 2002

I have been readnig numerous articles on recompiling thre kernel on linux
systems as of late.  Most of them go to say that it's just not worth doing
a recompile for the miniscule memory savings of adding modules into the
kernel, and also the speed increase from i486 instructions to i686 is
minimal.

What do most of you do on this list?  I used to be the big "kernel junkie"
and running a Monolithic (no-modules) kernel, compiled to my particular
processor type.  Recently, I have given up this game, and am sticking
with out of the box kernel configs to save the headaches.  It seems every
time I would recompile, something would be left out and not work till I
got around to doing another recomplile.  In this day and age of "my uptime
is better than your uptime" is it really wrth it?

Are there others that are finding they are doing less and less recompiles?

Ryan Neily
RHCE
ryan at neily.net