[ale] DirecTV DSL - No Reverse DNS

Joe Steele joe at madewell.com
Sun Jan 27 15:07:53 EST 2002

If you don't get anywhere with customer support, you might try
sending a message to dnsadmin at telocity.net (which is the mail addr.
in the SOA records for telocity.net, telocity.com,  and the
185.65.in-addr.arpa domains).  They may not do anything for you, but
at least you'd be communicating which someone who should know what's
what, rather than with a clueless customer support type.

You could point out to them that the zone file for 65.in-addr.arpa
says that ns1.telocity.net is an authoritative name server for the
188.65.in-addr.arpa zone, but that SOA queries to ns1.telocity.net
show that the 188.65.in-addr.arpa zone is not set up (i.e., it's
what's called a lame server).  In contrast, the 185.65.in-addr.arpa
zone is set up correctly.

Of course, if you get them to set up the reverse look-up, they should
go ahead and set up the forward look-up as well
(65.230.188.65.in-addr.arpa -> dsl-65-188-230-65.telocity.com ->
65.188.230.65).

--Joe