[ale] Minimal Linux Router

Benjamin Dixon beatle at arches.uga.edu
Sun Jan 27 14:29:20 EST 2002

Hi all,

I'm sure this is an age old question but I'm looking for experiences
setting up a linux router on a 4mb laptop. The goal of the router is to
act as a wireless AP and to bridge my wired and wireless networks similar
to how the Linksys WAP11 works. I plan on using one 802.11b card and one
ethernet card in the PCMCIA slots and due to the nature of the wireless
driver I plan on using, I'll need to run linux 2.4. I understand the
install and all that, no help needed there. What I do need advice on is
whether this configuration will work reliably as a router for a network
of, say, 20 people. If so, what configurations are suggested for things
like swap space, partitioning (its about 150Mb), distros, etc. I'm leaning
towards slackware right now as I've installed it on the laptop before.
Mostly I'm interested to know who has the lowest grade hardware operating
in the most demanding environment, particularly in a wireless setting.

Thanks,

Ben