[ale] DirecTV DSL - No Reverse DNS

Paul D. Manno paul at dblegl.atl.ga.us
Sun Jan 27 07:53:24 EST 2002

On Sat, 26 Jan 2002, Ben Alexander wrote:

> I am a DirecTV DSL customer and noticed that there was no reverse DNS
> associated with my IP.  I contacted Customer Support and they stated:
> "At this time we are not offering reverse DNS mapping to IP addresses."
>
> Isn't it usually a common practice for ISPs to have reverse DNS
> associated with IP addresses?  I know some FTP servers will not let you
> connect if they cannot do a reverse lookup.  Anyone else think that this
> is strange?
>
> Ben

I checked my connection about a minute ago and the Telocity/DirectTV DSL
connection has a valid DNS reverse map just as it always has.  Unless a
major change in their policy has just transpired, they've been one of the
few companies that support Linux and don't mind if you run servers on your
connection.  They don't provide you assistance for your services including
reverse DNS for NAT, VPN, etc. addresses.

I can't help but wonder if there's a confusion here...

-- Paul