[ale] Installation question

Fulton Green ale at FultonGreen.com
Sat Jan 26 16:10:05 EST 2002

This is assuming the one-drive situation (since someone's already
solved the two-drive one):

The traditional way of putting on a Windows NT-derived OS onto the
same drive as Linux for purposes of dual-booting has been to:
- install Linux, but save the first one or so partitions for NT
- create a special bootimage floppy for transferring into the NT env.
- install Windows NT (or 2000)
- add entry to NT's boot menu to point to Linux bootimage

All this used to assume (at least earlier versions of) Lilo. I think the
reasoning was 'cuz Lilo mucked with some part of the MBR that NT
absolutely had to have.

Now there's Windows XP. Its core is now the NT stuff (as opposed to
the GUI shell on top of DOS that was Windows 3.1/95/98/Me). And now Red
Hat's going with Grub as the default bootloader starting with 7.2.

How do they react? I'll let you all know. I'm about to do something
totally insane here and slap not two, not three, but at least FOUR OSen
onto my 60 GB drive:

- Red Hat 7.2
- FreeBSD 4.5 RC2
- Windows XP Pro
- Hurd H2 snapshot

Fortunately, XP Pro was only $150 when I bought the new box recently.
I figured I had to have the first 3 OSen for doing indpendent IT
consulting (though I plan to concentrate only on the first two for
any marketable software products I come up with). The fourth one is just
for funsies.

When I upgraded my parents' PC to XP Home (which, amazingly enough,
solved a boatload of crash problems), I noticed that the install docs
acknowledged that the person installing XP may actually have another
OS on the disk. Seems like it said that the two OSen should be dual-
bootable.