[ale] Discover Virtual Hosts

Keith Hopkins hne at hopnet.net
Sat Jan 26 01:22:19 EST 2002

Michael Golden wrote:

> Hi,
> 	I was wondering if there is any way to find out what virtual hosts (I
> think that is the right term) that a given domain has. Such as if I give
> it juno.com I would want it to spit out www.juno.com, webmail.juno.com,
> and any others it has. Is this possible to do?
>
> Michael

Yes, it is possible to do, either in DNS (to seperate machines) or for web based services (combined DNS and httpd config).

Search apache docs for Virtual Hosting...lots there.
Search "multi-homed host" for machines with more than 1 IP address.
Search DNS related materials for setting up DNS for either setup, or check with your DNS provider to see how flexible he is.

Lost in Tokyo,
   Keith