[ale] Port Question

Byron A Jeff byron at cc.gatech.edu
Sat Jan 26 08:46:44 EST 2002

> I got a quick question.
>  What is kdm, how is it used, is it related to KDE?

It's the K display manager. It is a part of KDE. It is used to create a
grphical login screen.

>  I know it's a newbie question,
> but I can't seem to find any definative information on it.

There should at least be a blurb in the K help system. Try 'Login Manager'.

>  It shows up on a port scan using port 1024, but I can't find anything on
> the system that is tied to that port or even a kdm executable.

It's evolved from the original X display manager (XDM) and in fact is just
xdm with a different configuration file.

> Thanks.

No problem. It is a bit unusual.

BAJ