[ale] Kernel Upgrade question

James P. Kinney III jkinney at localnetsolutions.com
Sat Jan 26 08:20:58 EST 2002

Michael's right about the added patches. You have to be careful that all
the functionality needed is in the new kernel. ext3 is a great example
of RedHat adding a (very useful) feature before it's adoption into the
mainstream kernel sources.

Right now, I can't do another RedHat upgrade without a lot of prep work.
I installed the 7.1 with SGI XFS patches. My entire system is XFS.

Earlier, RedHat had added some usb patches in a shipping kernel that had
not been merged in the linus tree. Result- download a kernel.org source
and it won't talk to your usb stuff. Add the patches from the usb  group
and it still won't work. Dig it out of the RedHat kernel.src.rpm and
life improves.

For someone who REALLY wants a test of their rpm package management
skills, the kernel.spec file is a real teeth-grinder.