[ale] i hate csh

John Wells jbwellsiv at yahoo.com
Fri Jan 25 23:21:10 EST 2002

> Searchs by patterns make most sense, something ksh
> let's you do:
>
> esc /
> 'type partial text of command you're looking for
> here, the return'

One of the best features of ksh....one of the biggest
shortcomings of csh...I also like the fact that if you
have vi set as your EDITOR, you can use j and k to
scroll through the history rapidly. With csh, unless I
the exact beginning of the command, I have to go
through the tedium of typing "history", looking for my
command number, and then "!n".

Bleh.

Not to mention that if you find a command in your
history under ksh and need to make quite a few
changes, you can hit esc and then type vi, which opens
that command in vi and allows you to edit it.  Then,
just :wq to execute.  Now that's functionality.

;-)