[ale] HOWTO->copy over the MBR to a mirrored HD

Transam transam at cavu.com
Fri Jan 25 17:00:26 EST 2002

> Greetings !

> I assume that if I copy over the filesystems from one HD to another, and
> then the MBR, that I will have a bootable/usable copy of the the
> original HD.

If you want to duplicate the entire disk just do

     dd if=/dev/hda of=/dev/hdb bs=1024k

If the destination disk (hdb) is at least as large as the source disk then
this works fine.  Of course you cannot use more space on hdb than you had
on hda.

Btw, this "entire disk copy" when run on a Linux system works equally well
if the underlying disk is some other file system format.  One can copy
Windows disks this way, for example.  (Mind those license terms, though.)