[ale] HOWTO->copy over the MBR to a mirrored HD

linux-clusters at mindspring.com linux-clusters at mindspring.com
Fri Jan 25 12:59:44 EST 2002

On Fri, Jan 25, 2002 at 01:52:50PM -0500, Courtney Thomas wrote:
> Greetings !
>
> I assume that if I copy over the filesystems from one HD to another, and
> then the MBR, that I will have a bootable/usable copy of the the
> original HD.
>
> How do I duplicate the MBR from one to the other without disrupting the
> filesystems to accomplish said goal ?
>
> Debian-2.4.6 if it matters.

Take a look at http://systemimager.sf.net  This is a very complete tool for
capturing system images, restoring them, and post install updating of that
image across a large number of machines.

It may be a little over kill for what you are trying to accomplish but
basically it captures an image of the system you want to duplicate, stores
that copy on the image-server of your choice, and then allows CD, floppy,
or network booting (assuming your end use hardware supports PXE booting)
of the system(s) you are trying to bring up as a copy of the first. At the end
of the install process it runs lilo with the lilo.conf file that is part of
the original image and then either sits there waiting for you to reboot the
system or reboots automatically.
Steven A. DuChene		linux-clusters at mindspring.com
				sad at echelonsupercompute.com