[ale] ssh

Ken Kennedy kkennedy at kenzoid.com
Fri Jan 25 11:43:26 EST 2002

On Fri, Jan 25, 2002 at 11:17:41AM -0500, ChangingLINKS.com wrote:
> Thanx for your help. I think that this is exactly what I need. I have not
> tested it yet though. I read the man file. On the graphics topic, I was told
> "never" to use vnc by several people because of the lack of security. I
> forgot what the more secure vnc like program is, do you know?
>
> Drew

Well, what they're saying is that VNC doesn't encrypt it's
packets. That's a conscious design decision by the folks writing VNC:

http://www.uk.research.att.com/vnc/faq.html#q55

I run vnc tunnelled over ssh, which gives me security, flexibilty, AND
gui-ability! (is that a word...*grin*). Easy to do...see:

http://www.uk.research.att.com/vnc/faq.html#q54

and

http://www.uk.research.att.com/vnc/sshvnc.html

>From my standpoint, VNC's greatest virtue is statelessness at the

viewer. Everything is handled at the server, so no worrying about
'nohups', or having ssh/telnet/whatever sessions hang and smash a
long-running database import (I'm a DBA by trade) when I'm working
from home. I start a VNC server session on my Sun box, connect to it
from my W2K box at work (tunnelled via ssh...trust no one! ), open a
xterm, and start doing something. Time to go home...I just shut down
the VNC client on Windows and walk out. Get home, wanna check on
something? VPN into work, re-connect to my Sun box with the xvncviewer
client on my Linux box, and my session is where I left it. Cursor in
the same dang place in the editor, etc. VNC r-o-c-k-s.

Ken

 PGP signature