[ale] SNMP question

Joseph A Knapka jknapka at earthlink.net
Thu Jan 24 13:30:37 EST 2002

Chris Fowler wrote:

> Are you refering to CNMP?  I never thought about the password issue.  I
> never needed one to view the settings
>
> Complex
> Network
> Management
> Protocol

LOL! You said it; SNMP is hideously complicated at the protocol
level. And get this: the "transportation industry" (whatever
that is, but it surely exists 'cause it pays my salary) has
a standard called NTCIP, which is based on SNMP and is used
to control trivial things like, oh, traffic lights(!). (Sometimes
over decrepit copper cable plant at 1200bps, which is no
fun at all, let me tell you.) Anyhow, the only thing saving us
from the script kiddies taking over traffic control in major
cities is that SNMP is too complicated for them to figure out.

Cheers,

-- Joe
"I should like to close this book by sticking out any part of my neck
 which is not yet exposed, and making a few predictions about how the
 problem of quantum gravity will in the end be solved."
 --- Physicist Lee Smolin, "Three Roads to Quantum Gravity"