[ale] ssh

Ken Kennedy kkennedy at kenzoid.com
Thu Jan 24 15:01:23 EST 2002

On Thu, Jan 24, 2002 at 12:57:14PM -0500, James P. Kinney III wrote:
> If you want to start a process (on any local or remote computer) and
> then log out and have it still run, you need to look at "nohup".
> "screens" will allow you to redirect the screen anywhere you want it to
> go. It's mostly used for terminal windows. For graphics, look at vnc.
> Then you can launch a vnc client, connect to the #1, start the proggie,
> watch play pictures for a while, close down the connection, turn off #2,
> sleep, get up and reboot and open vnc connection back to #1 and see what
> you've missed.

The nohup'll get you basically what you want (especially if you pipe
everything, including stderr, to a file, and check that later), but I
agree with James above on trying VNC. It rules...I use it every
day. (Now, in fact!) It'll do EXACTLY what you want to do. And you
haven't lived until you've run the VNC client on your Palm, and
checked on a running process! (OK...I admit, I connected via serial,
so I was sitting next to the machine anyway. But it was still too
freakin' cool.)

Ken

 PGP signature