[ale] IP Masquerading Question

Joseph A Knapka jknapka at earthlink.net
Thu Jan 24 08:34:34 EST 2002

bkruger at mindspring.com wrote:

> Thanks for the quick reply.  I think I have this... (please confirm)
>
> Regardless of the origin's MAC address on the subnetwork, all packets routed from the subnet leaves the server with the MAC of the NIC that is connected to the cable modem.  Therefore, the only IP address Knology will see will be from that of the NIC attached to the cable modem, and the only MAC it will see will be from the same NIC that is attached to the cable modem.

Yes. In general, MAC addresses and IP addresses are totally different
sorts of beasts. IP addresses are (usually) globally unique, and
routable across different physical networks. A MAC address is only
meaningful on the physical network to which the NIC is attached.
MAC addresses are (normally) never ever passed across physical
network boundaries, and NAT has no bearing on the question. The
meaning of the verb "routing" is, essentially, "deciding based
on the logical (IP) address of a packet which local physical
(MAC) address is the correct next destination for the packet."

Cheers,

-- Joe

--
"I should like to close this book by sticking out any part of my neck
 which is not yet exposed, and making a few predictions about how the