[ale] AOL sues Microsoft

jeff hubbs hbbs at mediaone.net
Thu Jan 24 08:48:25 EST 2002

The opinion that I've formed over the past couple of years (and even at
that, I think I may have been a little slow on the uptake) is that large
companies, having exhausted *legitimate* means to increase profits, have
nudged themselves and each other into *ILlegitimate* means to increase
profits.  For the most part, they find operating in that regime
hospitable or have been able to help make it so by manipulating the
political/legislative process.  If the state fails to frown on such
behavior, there's always the court of public opinion - but what if the
issues are complex and/or subtle, and what if the end result as
perceived by the public is actually attractive to them somehow?  A
simple pleasure directly and immediately obtained versus a protracted,
sub-surface, abstract, collective harm?

I used to be a big MS cheerleader, but then again, I was able to see
where all the threads connected because, well, I'm that type of person,
so I went looking for something else and found it in Linux/OSS.  If, as
an IT manager, I go with OSS where I can, my relationship with vendors
changes a lot; I'm nowhere near as helpless and hapless.  Mostly, I get
to choose where I spend my money and for what.

- Jeff