[ale] NFS and ipchains

gene gene at mmc-inc.com
Wed Jan 23 17:33:35 EST 2002

OK, I guess I need to learn ipchains instead of floundering around
everytime I need to mess with it but, in the mean time ;-), I sure could
use some suggestions on getting the right rules in
/etc/sysconfig/ipchains (Red Hat 7.1) to allow an NFS mount.

Ideally, I want to allow only the specific client (192.168.1.13) to
mount a f/s from the server (192.168.1.12).  The rules I was playing
with below, I was first just trying to limit it to a given network.

The nfs server (Red Hat 7.1, 192.168.1.12) has the following rules:

[root at server]# ipchains -L
Chain input (policy ACCEPT):
target   prot opt     source       destination           ports
ACCEPT   tcp  -y----  192.168.1.0/24 192.168.1.0/24        any ->   nfs
ACCEPT   udp  ------  192.168.1.0/24 192.168.1.0/24        any ->   nfs
ACCEPT   tcp  -y----  anywhere     anywhere              any ->   ssh
ACCEPT   tcp  -y----  anywhere     anywhere              any ->   http
ACCEPT   tcp  -y----  anywhere     anywhere              any ->   8082
ACCEPT   all  ------  anywhere     anywhere              n/a
ACCEPT   all  ------  anywhere     anywhere              n/a
REJECT   tcp  -y----  anywhere     anywhere              any ->   0:1023
REJECT   udp  ------  anywhere     anywhere              any ->   0:1023
REJECT   tcp  -y----  anywhere     anywhere              any -> x11:6009
REJECT   tcp  -y----  anywhere     anywhere              any ->   xfs
Chain forward (policy ACCEPT):
Chain output (policy ACCEPT):

The nfs client (a solaris 8 box, 192.168.1.13) can mount /media just
fine if i shutdown ipchains on the nfs server.  With the above rules in
place i get:

{root at client}# mount -r server:/media /backup/media
nfs mount: server: : RPC: Rpcbind failure - RPC: Unable to receive
nfs mount: retrying: /backup/media

Anyone want to suggest a rule that will work?

Thanks,

Gene