[ale] notepad

jeff hubbs hbbs at mediaone.net
Wed Jan 23 16:55:11 EST 2002

This might not be of interest to everyone, but a few months ago when I
was researching document generation possibilities under Linux, I came
across Lyx, which uses TeTeX.

When you're running Lyx, you only deal with content, not format - you
deal with format in some kind of definition file or template.  But, it
means that if you have to kick out some killer document like a thesis or
a Government contract, you can actually create the format and then fill
it in with text - and everything will line up just like it's supposed
to, in the right font, the right size, etc.  You don't explicitly set
the parameters of each and every hockin' letter like in Word or
StarOffice.  It convinced me that anyone who works with those kinds of
documents routinely would benefit if they climbed that learning curve.

- Jeff