[ale] Clearing up syslog file

James P. Kinney III jkinney at localnetsolutions.com
Tue Jan 22 15:44:31 EST 2002

Yep, it a samba problem. Your samba server is looking for a master
browser to babble with and see what is online. As long as there is no
other master browser, set yours up to be one:
(in smb.conf)
local master = Yes
preferred master = True
os level = 64

Now the denied connection lines show there is probably someone on your
cable-modem branch with a windoze machine setup to look for available
shares. What you do with it is up to you. You can block ports 137-139 at
your firewall to keep them out. Or you can make a bogus share and allow
any bozo who finds it to what you put in it.Or worse, let them write to
it and share out your printer so they can print their pr0n on your paper
;)