[ale] rsync and link files

Michael Still (mikes) MikeS at McBurney.com
Tue Jan 22 13:13:23 EST 2002

Are you using the -a switch?

On another rsync note.. I have a system here that I'm trying to do local
rsync with to make 'poor man's mirror' of my disk.

I have 2 identical 18G SCSI hd's on sda and sdb and partitioned exactly the
same with a /boot and a / (no swap..yeah I know), but the problem is that
when I reboot with this disk to test my mirror lilo gives LI 01 01 01 01...
So there is a problem somewhere.

Any ideas?  Better ways to do this?

-begin lilo.conf:
boot = /dev/sdb
timeout = 50
prompt
default = mike
vga = normal
read-only
map=/boot/map
install=/boot/boot.b

image = /boot/bzImage-mike
        label = mike
        root = /dev/sda2
-end lilo.conf

-beging sync.sh:
mount /mnt/backup/root
mount /mnt/backup/root/boot
/usr/bin/rsync --delete -xav / /mnt/backup/root
/usr/bin/rsync --delete -xav /boot/ /mnt/backup/root/boot
#/usr/sbin/chroot /mnt/backup/root /sbin/lilo -C /root/sync/lilo.conf
/sbin/lilo -r /mnt/backup/root -v -v -v -C /root/sync/lilo.conf
sync ; sync ; sync
umount /mnt/backup/root/boot
umount /mnt/backup/root
-end sync.sh

# fdisk -l /dev/sda

Disk /dev/sda: 255 heads, 63 sectors, 2213 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 bytes

   Device Boot    Start       End    Blocks   Id  System
/dev/sda1   *         1        13    104391   83  Linux
/dev/sda2            14      2211  17655435   83  Linux

# fdisk -l /dev/sdb

Disk /dev/sdb: 255 heads, 63 sectors, 2213 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 bytes

   Device Boot    Start       End    Blocks   Id  System
/dev/sdb1   *         1        13    104391   83  Linux
/dev/sdb2            14      2211  17655435   83  Linux

Michael Still (MikeS at McBurney.com)
System Administrator
The McBurney Corporation