[ale] Disk performance

Ken Nagorski kenn at refriedgeek.com
Tue Jan 22 11:07:07 EST 2002

hey folks - Look at this. I think everyone should read the article... Note
the transfer rate before and after hdparm

Thanks for the tip!
Ken
-------------------snip---------------------------------
root at workstation:$ hdparm -t /dev/hda

/dev/hda:
 Timing buffered disk reads:  64 MB in 19.87 seconds =  3.22 MB/sec
root at workstation:$ hdparm -d 1 /dev/hda

/dev/hda:
 setting using_dma to 1 (on)
 using_dma    =  1 (on)
root at workstation:$ hdparm -c 1 /dev/hda

/dev/hda:
 setting 32-bit I/O support flag to 1
 I/O support  =  1 (32-bit)
root at workstation:$ hdparm -t /dev/hda

/dev/hda:
 Timing buffered disk reads:  64 MB in  3.71 seconds = 17.25 MB/sec
root at workstation:$ hdparm -k 1 /dev/hda

/dev/hda:
 setting keep_settings to 1 (on)
 keepsettings =  1 (on)