[ale] Disk performance

Danny Cox danscox at mindspring.com
Tue Jan 22 10:40:45 EST 2002

Ken,

On Tue, 2002-01-22 at 10:00, Ken Nagorski wrote:
> I have a newer box running Slackware 8. It has a 40gig HD in it and an Intel
> D850GB. It seems like the disk access is horrible... Anyone know anything
> about this. I am sure that something can be done to improve the disk access?
> I have never really had issues like this before so I am not even sure where
> to start, so I am taking suggestions...

	Use hdparm to set -d1 -u1 -m16, and see if that makes a difference.
The biggest change I usually see is with -d1, which turn on DMA.  -u1
unmasks other IRQ while the IDE system is servicing it's irqs, and -m16
sets multiread to 16 "blocks", where blocks is a size set by the IDE
driver/disk manufacturer, or something ;-).

Danny