[ale] OT: corporate finance 101

Chris Farris chrisf at primeharbor.com
Tue Jan 22 08:09:49 EST 2002

Its not a scam. A publicly traded company's stock is worth whatever the
next guy is willing to pay for it. What is often why you see stock price
fluxuations. One day a buyer is willing to pay X, the next Y (or in some
cases 2x).

The only scam comes in when say a CEO, lets call him Mr. LeDay, lies
about how well a company is doing and their accounting firm (for our
fictional example Andersen Arthur) is so incompetent they can't see
through the lie (or perhaps doesn't want to).

The reason I think most people are so bitter, is that there were a bunch
of idiots out their buying stock with no knowledge of what they were
doing (Guilty!). "Hey CSCO is going up, I'll buy more of that". That
inflated the values of these stocks way beyond what a rational person
would pay for them. Much like Social Security the pyramid could not last
forever and it didn't. It was no better in the VC community when
professionals put their money into these VC funds and demanded that
those funds invest in the next Apple or Microsoft. What they don't
realize is an Apple or MS doesn't come along everyday. So the VC fund
managers bowed to their fund-holders pressure and invested in stupid
shit like diapers.com. The further compounded the problem by giving the
money to executive management who were still in diapers, with business
plans that came out of used diapers (enough of the diaper metaphors).

Hence the reason so many are unemployed.

Chris

--
Chris Farris
Sr. Consultant