[ale] newbie GPL/ S.B.A. question?

Ken Kennedy kkennedy at kenzoid.com
Mon Jan 21 23:41:29 EST 2002

On Mon, Jan 21, 2002 at 09:47:42PM -0500, Adrin wrote:
> Is that another plus for Linux and GPL?  Kind of new to the GPL thing. but
> it is basically
> a public (free) Lic.? If you make it you can charge for you
> time/development?

After reading both your posts, I take it that you're asking:

"Is the GPL a plus for businesses, b/c you don't have to worry about
the SPA/BSA threatening to audit you for license non-compliance?"

If that (or something like it) is what you're asking, then yes, that's
an advantage of any of the  Free Software licenses (of which the GPL
is one). You are free to run a GPLd program, to redistribute it to
your friends, neighbors, or co-workers, or even to adapt it to your
own needs (ie, change it). You can even distribute the original or
changed program for a fee, if you like.

All you CANNOT do with GPLd software (this is not the case with some
of the other Free Software licenses) is add restrictions to software
you redistribute that deny other people the same freedoms. So, you
can't download a GPLd program, improve it, and then sell it and not
allow people to make copies. You CAN sell it, but since people are
allowed to redistribute it, gratis copies will tend to make their way
to some folks...

> Maybe I need to go read the Lic. on the website.  If I understand
> every thing right.  I can see why Microsoft and others
> (http://www.sba.com) don't like GEL now.

I would indeed suggest that you go read info on the gnu.org website. A
good place to start would be The Free Software Definition: